Monday 30 August 2010

Ayman Mahmoud Saey - Presenter Biog




I started working with video in my early teenage years. Enthusiasm and a small amount of competence in my first project led to me getting a small paid job. This in turn led to another small job, and quite soon after I was registered as self employed and doing more small jobs.

While grateful for the experience that had seemingly landed on my lap, I began to get restless with the type of work I was doing. I didn’t necessarily care much for the subjects of my films and furthermore I didn’t find myself in any environments that would inspire me to develop as a filmmaker.

My next step was to go to university, which is where I am now. At university my films have been characterised by having elements of both documentary and fiction. I find myself more concerned with what I see as the essence of the film rather than subscribing to a particular form that it must be expressed in.

Also my films tend to be quite self reflexive despite usually have no intention for them to be so; in my short experience, the filmmaking process itself often strangely coincides with the intentions of the film in a way that makes it just as important a part of the film to be depicted/ referred to.

I’m not too sure what is next for me, but if I do continue to make films I would image I would still be concerned with finding ways of translating experience on to film. I prefer it when one gets a sense of something in a film rather than just intellectually derived conclusions.

Also I am interested in just showing things as they are. I believe that watching a film is a unique time in a persons life when all but what is seen and heard in the film is removed, allowing the viewer to connect with the subject in a way that may be much more difficult to within the abundance of ‘real life’. When we connect with a subject we are given the opportunity to comprehend it and with comprehension hopefully comes transcendence.

Film and Video BA, London College of Communication, University of the Arts London.

You can contact Ayman at a8hm@hotmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment